Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rant

Did I ever mention on this blog that I hate Long Island, and more specifically, I hate Port Washington? On a daily basis I am besieged by hostile, horrible, ill-mannered, loud, driving-impaired Long Islanders. Evil, horrible people.

Another nail in the coffin of my ashtanga practice:

I go to the Port Washington LIRR parking office. In order to obtain a Port Washington parking sticker (you must have a sticker to park in the LIRR lot on weekdays), you must have a driver's license, auto registration and rental agreement or utility bill, all with a matching address in your name. So I went out and got said driver's license and registration (no picnic in NY state, mind you). Now, I am not on our rental lease, as we are in BF's apartment that he rented before I moved here. And I am not listed on the utility bills. So, being the thorough, well-prepared girl scout that I usually am, I called ahead to find out if there was anything I could do. And I was told to bring a bank statement or credit card statement, anything with a matching address.

So I went on my lunch hour to the parking office. I brought a savings account statement, a credit card statement, my tax return and my (hard-won) license and registration. The man behind the counter said oh, a new permit, you'll need to wait for 'her'. Whoever the fuck 'her' is. OK. I maintain my sunny disposition, because, as I see it, being nice will get you much farther and it's usually easier anyway. 'She' comes to the counter. I give her a sunny 'hello' which is completely and rudely ignored. The man explains to her that I want a new permit but I don't have a lease or utility bill.

Her: You don't have a lease?
Me: I'm not on the lease here but I live here
Her: You don't have a utility bill?
Me: They aren't in my name.
Her (with evil, stony look): Well whose name are they in?
Me: (silently WTF). Well, they are in blankety blank's name.
Her: Well who is blankety blank?
Me: (silently again WTF?). He's the other person that lives in the house.
Her: These won't do, this is a savings account statement. You'll need a checking account statement (me wondering what's the difference at this point). Or a cell phone bill. Do you have a cell phone bill?
Me: (silently...was I supposed to bring every fucking bill I've ever received at this address?????). OK, I'll get that and come back.

No 'sorry for the inconvenience', no 'I know this is a pain in the rear but we have to weed out the fakers'. Not even a 'kiss my ass'. She just turned and walked away.

So I walked out to my car and had a mini-meltdown, wondering why the FUCK I live here and why the FUCK people on Long Island have to be so fucking stupid and rude. I got in my car and of course, on my way back to work some driving-impaired Long Islander almost sideswipes me in the process of trying to cut me off to get to a parking spot on the street.

The funny part? I'm only getting a parking sticker so I can park at the train station when I go to work in the city. And I'm only wanting to go to work in the city so I can go to a fucking yoga class. I MUST be out of my mind.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously? Seriously? Except I know you're serious.

Fucking Long Island. I hate it there too. Why do people make things so hard?

We love you at yoga class!

crankyhausfrau said...

i am surprised they don't ask you to pee in a goddamn cup when you go to get a driver's license here! it is NUTS! when i went to register my car they said i needed Andrew's signature on the forms because the car is in both our names. so i stepped outside, signed his name and went back in. it is only forgery if the other person objects. and i had his permission.
so sorry about the trouble :)

crankyhausfrau said...

astralplane!!!!

LI Ashtangini said...

oh yes, the process for registering a car, or transferring a registration, or transferring a driver's license, is totally absurd.

I couldn't believe she asked who the person was. Like, WTF? I guess she has seen a lot of people go to great lengths to get a parking sticker?

Did I mention, I just realized I'm PMS'ing? Super.

crankyhausfrau said...

ugh, sorry. i admire you for not telling her who the person was. i mean, it isn't really her f-ing business is it? father, brother, husband, pimp? what difference does it make?

Anonymous said...

Because people are intrusive and rude and sometimes they suck?

ASTRALPLANE indeed! This no longer surprises me because we are all astral-ing on the same plane at all times.

Maybe I am catching S's PMS and this is why I'm basically eating everything except my own sleeves?

crankyhausfrau said...

god that is so funny, because i just got that pre-crampy feeling and asked V over on your blog if we could get on the same cyle just from blogging! funny.

LI Ashtangini said...

maybe not from blogging but maybe from the full moon/new moon cycle? if we're not on hormonal birth control (which I'm not), it's bound to happen eventually.

Fertility Awareness Method, baby!

Anonymous said...

Need for fertility awareness important when one is actually having sex, which both of you are doing, and I am not.

I've now consumed half a box of macaroons?

Cyber-cycling together! Howling at the moon too?

Anonymous said...

I think the last time was this hard, was ... oh yeah, BEFORE you left for CALI. Perhaps it really IS NY that has this affect on you. Can't be healthy, no matter how much yoga you practice.

Anonymous said...

Does that mean we should all move to LA?

: ) : ) : )

crankyhausfrau said...

if it was the moon, shouldn't we have are started bleeding yesterday?
and who says i am having sex? i am MARRIED and i have birthed children already. there is no point to sex anymore!


i am kidding.

mostly.

truthfully, my husband and i live in different states, his parent were visiting last weekend and next weekend i will most likely be bleeding...not much sex over here.

Anonymous said...

One two three... roarrrrrr!

LI Ashtangini said...

K, is that you????

Cranky/Happy, don't depress me. It gets worse once you're married? Jeez.....

Yes, let's all move to LA!

Anonymous said...

mmmm, jasmine, sea smells, cupcakes, sushi in Brentwood, yoga, friends, mountains, ocean, sea cliffs, A Votre Sante, sigh.

LI Ashtangini said...

YOGA, beach, Venice, Malibu, Coffee Bean, Fritto Misto, SuzieCakes, La Cabana, El Cholo, In N Out

Anonymous said...

COFFEE BEAN, rice krispy treats at Coffee Bean, Coral Tree, Montana, San Vicente, the Beverly Hills sign that always makes me smile, Exhale Santa Monica, Owls...

crankyhausfrau said...

owls :)

(0v0) said...

uh?

sonya, i am sorry there is something wrong with the culture of long island. lame.

fritto misto has not gone anywhere.
but if it's any consolation, in l.a. we work til 8 pm these days...?

:)