Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mysore style....sort of

I went to the Mysore class in Huntington last night. It was kind of odd, not exactly what I'm used to. However, it was a thousand times better than trying to practice alone in my cramped living room so I'll take it!

Basically, instead of people just wandering in shortly before the class starts and starting up their practice, everyone waited to start until 7:15pm (class start time), did the chant together then started their practice. Also, everyone only did half-primary. There were six people in the room, including me, plus the teacher. To be quite honest, it was nice that there were no 'superstars' in the room, no one doing crazy third or fourth series. No one there could even stand up from UD. So it was much easier for me to have my normal 'challenged' practice. I am well aware that we're not supposed to compare ourselves in the Mysore room but I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one who does that. Usually I am successful at brushing it off and not worrying about it. The teacher was a sub and I thought he was really cool. There were no heavy-handed adjustments, he seemed to work more with energy than brute strength. Sometimes I do need the brute strength, but not always. All in all, it was a good experience and it will be a good option for me, especially when we move to that area next month.

On the house-hunting front, I'm dreadfully tired of staring at Craigslist, tired of brokers, tired of the whole thing. I'm going to look at two houses tonight, one in Huntington and one in Kings Park. I would love for one of them to work out so I can stop looking. The other option I have discovered is a house in St. James that is WAAAAAAAY too close to the ex-wife (like, three blocks). I'm going to look at it but it's probably not going to be a good option for us.

3 comments:

crankyhausfrau said...

i hate house hunting. sux.
glad you had a good practice. and your are right. most people check out other people in the room. when i lived in portland there were some super amazing practitioners there and i always felt retarded. but when i went out into the world other places, i would realize, hey, i don't suck so bad! i like to be smack in the middle practice-wise. i don't want any attention, you know? i mean, just from the teacher.

LI Ashtangini said...

Yeah, I don't want anyone checking me out, LOL. I'm not one of those 'look at me' practitioners.

If our current place of residence weren't so hovel-ish, I would just stay until we're ready to buy! ARGH!

crankyhausfrau said...

i remember seeing a picture of your place. it didn't seem hovel-ish to me. nice wood floors?