Monday, April 21, 2008

Just do it?

A woman is often measured by the things she cannot control. She is measured by the way her body curves or doesn’t curve. By where she is flat or straight or round. She is measured by 36-24-36 and inches and ages and numbers. By all the outside things that don’t ever add up to who she is on the inside. And so if a woman is to be measured, let her be measured by the things she can control. By who she is and who she is trying to become because as every woman knows, measurements are only statistics, and statistics lie.


© Nike

Edited slightly for punctuation preferences....

I bought three pairs of pants yesterday, and lots of shirts, for wearing to work. And I ignored the numbers, found clothes that fit me and flatter me and are comfortable. And I didn't hear that annoying voice so much. Take that, voices in my head!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that... I remember it from college. Nike ran a bunch of print ads totally focusing on girl power! What ARE statistics anyway?

Sizes are stupid. Kudos to you for telling the voices to shut up!

New clothes are so fun, too.

Shoestringtaitai said...

Hi!
Thanks for posting that. It's great! Something clicked in me when I read it. I'm trying to get fit again as the weather warms up but really the intention is to get fit for life. I'm only half way through my 1st series. Can you recommend a ashtanga yoga place in Manhattan? Thanks!

LI Ashtangini said...

Thanks shoestring. I got it from a friend. :)

There are a few ashtanga places in Manhattan, it really depends on how 'serious' you want to be.

There's Yoga Sutra, probably the most conveniently located at 42nd and 5th. There's Eddie Stern's place (on Broome, I think?). There's Guy Donahaye's place in the far east village. Also Shiva Shala in the East Village. I think YogaWorks on the Upper West Side also does Mysore classes. I cannot vouch for ANY of these teachers and have no opinions pro or con but if you want to e-mail me off-blog at sonyalee9 at gmail dot com I would be happy to offer my opinions, humble as they are.