Wednesday, April 9, 2008

It's the bandhas, stupid......

OK, well, I'm not stupid but perhaps I have a bandha problem? I've always been weak with the bandhas. Perhaps it's time to start giving them some love. Today I practiced at home (shout out to me for getting motivated!), just sun salutations and the standing poses. But I thought to myself, before I started, today I will focus on the bandhas. And I did. And while my right hip definitely feels that familiar gripping, the low back pain is not there. Of course, I didn't backbend, but I think I'll play around with this some. That's the beauty of the home practice....free to work on stuff that in the Shala might get me in a bit of trouble.

In other news, I actually dragged BF out of bed at 6:30am and taught him the sun salutations. He was pretty darned good considering it was his first try at them. Poor man has really tight hamstrings and calves but fortunately for him he's very strong in the upper body so he can deal with the weight there for a while until stuff evens out. Part of our verbal exchange this morning:

Me, demonstrating samastithi: So, stand with your toes touching lightly, distribute your weight evenly through your feet, blah blah blah, try to engage your core so your shoulders are expanded but not up around your ears.

BF: Wow, that makes your tits look nice.

Yeah, this is gonna go really well.....we'll try again tomorrow morning. For the record, this was partly his idea. He wants to lose the weight that he gained when he quit smoking in January and this is something we can do together. We also take walks and after we move to Huntington we may get bicycles but for now this is the thing that's most available to both of us. Problem is, he's not going to get out of bed on his own that early in the morning so I have to play mommy/drill sergeant to get him up.

If you're thinking of getting a pet, please go to an animal shelter. The economic downturn and housing crisis have created a shelter crisis. Read this sad story.

If I ever had to give up the boys like that, I just don't know what I would do. I feel terrible for all of these families who feel that they have to give up their pets. If you can't adopt a dog or cat, give a little money or time to an animal shelter. They can really use the help right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't even think about the shelter crisis, makes me very sad and upset. All my pets my whole life have been rescue - actually, two are from North Shore Animal League! I definitely understand why people like specific breeds, but I need to adopt. Even with my shibas - I found shiba inu rescue!

Hooray for self practice! I'll be joining you in the cyber shala for awhile....
xx

Arturo said...

Hi LIA
It's good that your BF joined you in practice, and whatever motivates him is fine; he has to start somewhere.
Cheers,
Arturo

alfia said...

I can't read about the chelters, too. I just start bawling. My both cats are rescues, too. I used to volunteer at the shelter, where I got my second cat. It just breaks my heart.

Practice at home - good for you! I hope to gather enough resolve to do it tonight. For some reasong it is a thousand times harder for me to practice at hpme in the evening, than in the morning.