Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mongolian BBQ

I went to lunch with a friend today, we went to get Mongolian BBQ and sat outside in Bryant Park and ate lunch. All veggies, mmm, was good but now I'm STARVING and no food until at least 6:30. BUT Cranky is bringing some cupcakes for us all to have. Yay!

So I was chatting with my friend K the other day. He calls Ashtanga 'the cult'. I always laugh but I guess it hits home a teensy bit? I mean, let's list what we 'do or don't do' for Ashtanga:

We don't drink very often, or if we do we do it the day before a Moon day or on Fridays
We go to bed early so we can get up at 5am (or thereabouts)
We change some of our eating habits; Some of us eat no meat or less meat, or no dairy, or just diet to get smaller so our practice will be 'better'
We 'salute the sun' and face the East while doing it!
We chant
Many of us alter our work schedules, or travel fairly long distances, just to practice with our other 'cult members'
Most of us do our practice in a 'shala'
We don't practice on the Full Moon or the New Moon or when we're menstruating
Some of us make what could be called 'pilgrimages' to India to commune with our guru and to help improve our practice
WE BLOG ABOUT IT endlessly
We befriend likeminded people, probably some of whom we might not even ever be friends with if it weren't for 'the practice'

It goes on. I suppose if I look at it through his eyes it does seem a little cultish. Ummmm, WHATEVER. K reads this blog and I know he's laughing right now. I'm ok with that. If he weren't laughing at me about 'the cult' then he'd be laughing at me for something else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't sweat it. I am laughing, but you should know that by now, while I make fun and light of the cult, I am way to apathetic as a person to worry. :) I should buy you a watch with lunar phases.

Anonymous said...

It's all good :) We love our cult and I think we are all happier and healthier being Type A's than most people :)I am still having trouble getting "smaller" so I can do more so I will obsess on that one on the list. LOL!
Have a great day!
Anon 2

LI Ashtangini said...

Yes, this post was mostly for K. If I abandoned the cult, he would find something else to make fun of me for. It's just his way.

Anon2, I'm not having much luck getting 'smaller', LOL.

alfia said...

Good observations, Sonya! You made me laugh. I am obseessin about getting smaller, too! :D