Sunday, June 22, 2008

Seriously....

It's Sunday and G is back so I went to Not So Anonymous Shala for class. It was good to see him, he seemed full of energy and extra cheerful. So, I figured after yesterday's BRUTAL Laughing Lotus class I would be really sore and stiff but not so! Actually, I've found that I have the best Sunday practice if I do some sort of ultra-criminal class on Saturday. Anyhoo, there is some soreness in my front ribs, which Anna thinks is the result of the MULTIPLE vasistasanas. How did she manage to get me to go to the class that REPEATEDLY did the one pose I hate? I'd go again though. I did a little bit of R&D before I got started, pigeon, firelog etc. I did 4 A's and 4 B's (very unlike me, I hate the B's). I was so tuned in during padahastasana that I missed G going to the front of the room for chanting and bolted upright during Om. Oh well. Standing poses were pretty good, I feel like I'm really making progress. No help in UHP, whatever. I need to learn to do it on my own anyway. New perspective on Janu A from G, that was interesting. Assists in Marichy A, B and C from the assistant, I just love her. I notice that C is coming along. I got my upper arm in front of my knee and managed to get my wrist wrapped around my ankle so that my hand was behind, all on my own. Wow! It actually kind of startled me, the assistant laughed. The navasana was still pitiful, perhaps I should do more of them during practice. I'll try that. After Navasana, I looked up to find G because we had discussed me doing bhujapidasana. It was two weeks ago, I didn't expect him to remember. I caught his eye and he said 'oh, it's the look'. LOL. I asked if I should keep going and he said 'yeah, sure' with moderate enthusiasm so I did the whole thing except setu bandhasana.

Here's where it gets dicey. I lay down on my back to do the chakrasana after supta padangustasana, rolled my feet over my head and farted. Um, unfortunately somewhat loudly. It totally came out of nowhere and I was mortified BUT I didn't lose my cool, I managed to execute the best chakrasana I ever have and just kept on going like nothing happened. To my fellow anonymouse shala-mates, I'm so sorry, I really didn't mean it. It happens, I guess. Moving on, I did my three backbends (with restasana between, need to work on that), five breaths each (longer breaths than last time). Then I did my baby dropbacks and saw the floor again, yikes! I also managed to remember paschimatanasana.

So I moved to the back of the room for finishing and that was pretty good too. I actually managed to gather up my legs and do a half-headstand with bent knees for about four breaths. Now, I know that doesn't sound like much to long-time headstanders but I seriously am afraid of headstand and rarely can do it without the wall, especially in a room full of people.

All in all, it was a fantastic practice, even with the flatulence.

In other news, we just got back from seeing The Incredible Hulk movie. Seriously, I really liked it. And, much to the chagrin of the men of the house, I really hate action movies. This one was good, even if Liv Tyler was a bit much with the pouty face and big sad eyes. Definitely better than Iron Man. If you have older kids who can handle it, definitely go see it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allison is delightful. And we both touched the universe!

Again, no worries on the fart. One thing we all come to realize in this practice is that our bodies do WEIRD things. And you did your whole practice! ROAR!

"the look" - laughing. Of course he remembers.

Practicing with you is awesome.
xxxx

p.s., we ARE going back to that class. I can't go on Saturday, but very soon! And I will get you in at night too (and afterwards we can get dinner).

LI Ashtangini said...

Yes, I will go back to the class any time! This Saturday also not good for me. Are you around July 4 weekend?

No way he remembers! I wouldn't expect him to, I'm only there once a week. I wonder if he sees how much progress I'm making though?

Allison was all 'does Greg bind you in Marichy D?'. AS IF. I'm like, uh, no. Some day.....I feel it coming. For real!

Why am I watching Drake and Josh? The kids are gone. Jeez.

Anonymous said...

You'd be surprised... I think Greg is one of those people who remembers EVERYTHING. And yes, you are making enormous progress and I'm sure he sees it. Your practice is filled with grace.

As of now, I'm around the 7/4 weekend! And for reals you will have to come in one night during the week. I need you to meet my girl crush Mary Dana!

What is Drake and Josh?

I like Max and Ruby. Kid's show. With rabbits.

LI Ashtangini said...

Teen Nick, several years past Max and Ruby. Yes, I can come in one night. Not this week, maybe the week after July 4 weekend?

Yoga is silly!

Arturo said...

Hi LIA
Your practice is improving. You didn't hear any sympathetic giggles upon your mishap? We're all human. It hapenned to me in my home practice last week, on a day my practice wasn't as strong, but normally it doesn't.
Cheers,
Arturo

LI Ashtangini said...

No giggles, but the whole shala seemed to stop for one whole second, I swear!

susananda said...

LOL.. we've all been there I'm sure with the 'noises'. Congrats on your headstand, that is awesome! I really think half-headstand in the middle of the room is a much better way to learn than just whacking yourself up against the wall.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

That Laughing Lotus place sounds amazing! Your farting story gave me a good chuckle. I'm waiting for that to happen to me... I know it will one of these days, and I've fought it HARD a couple of times! I know I shouldn't be drinking coffee in the morning before Mysore, but I need some help to get on my mat at 6:00.

The last time I went to Friday night led primary, there was a poor woman who got some air trapped inside her vagina during Ubhaya Padangusthasana (sp? I'm too lazy to look it up). Anyway, it just kept coming little by little over the course of the next few postures. She kept exclaiming in frustration but you know there's nothing you can do about it. It's got to come out.

Yoga does help us get over ourselves, doesn't it?

LI Ashtangini said...

Joy Suzanne, I believe that is referred to as 'varting'. LOL. I was proud of myself, I did not let it stop me from finishing what was otherwise the best practice I've had ever!

Susananda, my teacher is not a big fan of bent-leg headstand but for someone like me, who is simply afraid to be up there, I think it helps. I can actually come up without touching the wall behind me, I just need to know it's there. I've been trying to break that habit for a long time!

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Yes, right. Varting. Lovely word, that.

susananda said...

I think it's good to practice it in a tuck till you get used to being upside down, and really crack the balance there where your centre of gravity is much lower. Then learn to straighten the legs.

However, I am not an authorised teacher :)

alfia said...

Hi, Sonya:

I like your descriptions of the classes you take and the practice you do. You have a nice way with words!
There was a period in my practice when whenever I inserted my arms into my legs in Garbha Pindasana, there would be a loud farting noise just from the friction. It mortified me to no end. It is gone now, and I love the pose! We also had a person in shala who would make these sounds by friction of the heels against the floor trying to get into kurmasana. He is silent now, and his kurmasana is beautiful. Things change, thank God!