Monday, June 23, 2008

PISSED OFF!!!!!

OK, maybe I take my work a little too seriously but I wrote the following letter to Lee Gomes, a journalist with the Wall Street Journal. He wrote this article regarding company anti-spam practices.

Mr. Gomes,

I'm writing in response to your article in the Wall Street Journal dated June 18, 2008. First, I would like to thank you for alarming the CEO of my company (a company which shall remain nameless) with your poorly researched and clearly non-technical article regarding anti-spam practices. If Dow Jones as a company has chosen to disallow its users from accessing their e-mail marked as spam, that is unfortunate for you and your co-workers. However, that is not necessarily standard practice with anti-spam vendors, and isn't even standard practice for Postini! Normally companies will implement a system, much like the one Postini normally provides, whereby the users are notified that they have messages in their spam queue and they can browse to those messages and choose to either release them or not. Not only have you misrepresented anti-spam technology in general, but you have made e-mail engineers like myself, as well as IT as a general group, look like controlling, e-mail patrolling jerks. I thought a journalist was supposed to bring all of the facts of a subject to light in their articles. My mistake. So, thank you Mr. Gomes, for making my job and the job of e-mail engineers everywhere that much harder. I suppose I should expect nothing less from the newspaper that brought us an article entitled "10 Ways to Get Around Your IT Department".

Fuckmuppet.

6 comments:

susananda said...

Uh, yeah.. we get to browse our spam queue, like you say, and most of it isn't spam at all but emails we would like to release. I didn't read the guy's article, but I get the gist.

It is so annoying when ignorant people misrepresent your profession. Like some of the ideas people have about yoga teachers...

Anonymous said...

Unlike lawyers where the perception is that everyone sucks, and big surprise, everyone actually DOES!

Muppets, muppets everywhere and in abundance.

I want to hide under lots of blankets in a shala.

Stellata said...

i guess you un-quit :)

LI Ashtangini said...

Yeah, I decided I was being childish but I'm still grumpy! And I have a private with Christopher tomorrow. FCUK!

Anonymous said...

It's going to be AMAZING!

One of my friends turned "cuntmuppet" today into "cuntmuffin."

Stellata said...

How was your private? PS. you are brave!