Monday, March 31, 2008

Random thoughts for today

Hard to Handle by the Black Crowes is a COVER. I had no idea! How did I not know this? It was originally written and recorded by Otis Redding and was released in 1968, the year after his death.

Yesterday while I was getting my mani/pedi, Scheherezade was playing on whatever cd mix thing they had going. Scheherezade is a beautiful piece by the Russian composer Rimsky-Korsakov and is based on the story 'A Thousand and One Nights'. It has the most amazing clarinet part (ok, there are other amazing parts too, but I play the clarinet so that's what I pay attention to). If you've never heard it, definitely try to get your hands on it. Oh yeah, I play the clarinet. Actually, the whole truth is, I have a bachelors degree in clarinet performance. Little known facts about LI Ashtangini.....

Today at the grocery store the Scherzo from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' by Mendelssohn was playing. I couldn't help but remember my sophomore year in college, my professor assigned the excerpt from this piece to me. I don't remember the exact tempo setting but it's FAST. REALLY FAST. So I had to break it down as slow as I possibly could and I would practice it every day at the same slow tempo for a week. Then the next week I would take the metronome up two ticks and play at that tempo for a week. And so on until I was playing it at the correct tempo. It reminded me that my yoga practice is somewhat like that. You start out slow, maybe you can't do everything but with practice it gets better and easier until you can't remember not being able to play the Scherzo from a Midsummer Night's Dream, or not being able to do chaturanga after chaturanga. Interesting, no?

I do still remember the tendonitis though. I don't think that will ever go away. Perhaps a reminder to be mindful and practice ahimsa.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

have you heard the horns version of H2H by the Crowes?

LI Ashtangini said...

NO! I will try to find that. Is it on an album or anything?