Saturday, March 29, 2008

Lacrosse.......a cold weather sport?

I took Z to his lacrosse practice yesterday. It was FRIGID. And I forgot his jacket. Not that he could have worn it over all of the pads. Still, I'd be the crappiest mom ever, lol. After practice we went to McDonald's (yeah, I know, don't even go there) for a McFlurry. I guess Z wasn't that cold. Lacrosse is brutal! and confusing. and boring. Fortunately for me, his mother did not show up. I haven't met her yet and I'm trying to keep that particular life event at bay for as long as possible. I also got a whole lot of stuff done yesterday: cleaning the house, paying bills. I felt bad because Z spent most of the morning watching cartoons and playing X-box. So, when it was time for his brother and his father to come home, he had been mostly cooped up all day with no entertainment. Both children got wildly wound up over dinner and consequently got yelled at several times until bedtime at 9:30. While I was totally annoyed at their wildness, I could kind of relate because Z had literally had no interaction with anyone but me all day!

I went to the afternoon Mysore on Friday and came home barely able to stand. I don't know what it is about practicing in the afternoons but I simply can't do it. I can't tell if it's the teacher (I don't think so), the fact that I've been sitting all day or some strange combination of adjustments. It feels like the problem is UHP. I certainly don't want to bad-mouth the teacher in any way because I don't think it's that person's fault but something about their adjustment/assistance in UHP renders me completely unable to get up and down. The pain is high up on my hip in the back. Basically, once it (whatever 'it' is) happens, I can stand and I can sit but the transition between is horrific. While I was getting out of the car I felt it spasm and I was afraid I was going to fall over right outside in the street but I recovered and got myself into the house. By morning it had worked itself out and I had no more pain. But this happens EVERY TIME I practice at the afternoon session. I just don't get it.

I went to the shala this morning, it was quite crowded! It was one of those Sundays where we end up making three rows instead of the normal two. I had a really good practice. I actually feel a little bit of my flexibility coming back, which is nice. I'm still only going up to Navasana. I'm actually thinking of approaching Teacher and asking him to re-teach me the second half of primary. I would really like to start all over with the rest of it. My backbends felt pretty good (no clue what they look like, I'm probably better off that way) and I did three dropbacks against the wall. I don't seem to be getting any closer to the ground though. I do, however, feel like I'm really finding my feet. I'll just keep plugging along and see how it goes, I guess. When I left I had that lovely happy feeling that I used to get all the time when I practiced in LA. Gosh, I love that feeling. I must remember that feeling tomorrow morning when I'm trying to do my home practice at 5:30am! I also drove the the shala this morning, and that was GREAT. I left the house at 8am and was on the mat by about 8:45 or 8:50. And afterward I was home in about 40 minutes. I did the laundry, had my car washed, got a mani/pedi/waxing (inspired by Cranky's flawless pits, HA!), went for a walk with BF then cooked him dinner. And now I'm working, moving mailboxes. Again. I'm VERY tired of working!

I got the book that Owl recommended. It's pretty good. I think I'd like a little more theory, a little less practical application/practice. I mean, the practices in it are a good idea, I think I'll even try them. But I really want to hear more about what they think. Perhaps I just need a shrink to figure out what the F is wrong with me. More on this topic in the coming days, I think.

9 comments:

(0v0) said...

:)

crankyhausfrau said...

really, i MUST have just waxed those babies prior to the picture because my pits only look that hairless once a month, if that.

isn't lacrosse dangerous and scarey?

Anonymous said...

You are so busy! You make me look sedentary!

I have no desire to ever play lacrosse.

Talk to Greg. He's amazing with anything back-related and he'd be happy to help you with the rest of primary!

LI Ashtangini said...

Queen Cranky - It's not too dangerous if you're 8 but yeah, it got a little rough out there. And Z is so LITTLE! :( I waxed my pits AND my legs. Woo! BF was starting to complain.....

Anna - you're not sedentary, just young and unencumbered by men and children, sigh. Oh, the good old days, I remember those. I did have two glorious days of time management bliss though, I must say. I hear Greg is good with the back. I think I'd rather have Christopher teach me (again) the rest of primary though. Not sure why, just an instinctual thing. I hesitate to talk to either of them about this issue because then I'll basically be pointing the finger at that particular teacher! :(

Yoga Chickie said...

Hi S - you must have been practicing right in front of me on Sunday. I saw a woman with lovely red hair and enviable boobs...you looked very flexible to me. I saw C put you into one of the Marichis - D, maybe? I try not to let my eyes drift too much. I didn't see your backbends at all, so my driste must have been okay...

Did you see me? VERY SHORT chick, referred to as "Black Lauren" by teacher.

Yoga Chickie said...

(because I was wearing all black, as always.)

LI Ashtangini said...

Yes, I was there. I think I know where you were, right behind me. It is hard to miss the hair and the 5'9" height and the big boobs. Once the description of me is out there, I cannot hide! I think I heard him say Lauren but I don't think I heard the 'black Lauren' part. He was all kinds of politically incorrect on Sunday! What with the tittibhasana comment about women and small steps......

Marichy C was with assistant, D was with Teacher but there's no getting me into it, he just gives me a good rotational twist because he's one of the few teachers big and strong enough to wrestle with me successfully.

Yoga Chickie said...

That rotational twist is oh so important. I have a student who has a lovely C but can't seem to put it all together in D, and I find that when we just TWIST and forget about the bind, it is soooo much better. The bind is only there, in my experience (although I bet Teacher would disagree), to deepen the twist. It isn't an end to itself. Again, Teacher would probably disagree because he seems to be into binding and bhanda-ing and closing gaps.

All kinds of politically incorrect! Ha! There was a time when I might not have enjoyed that so much, but for some reason, it is really working for me lately.

From your latest post, I guess you won't be at practice if your lady arrives for her holiday visit, I mean.

Lauren

LI Ashtangini said...

My PMS comes a full seven days before the main event, always has. Odd. I'll most likely be there on Sunday.