Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Blubber forecast 40% and dropping

Perhaps some of this weight is coming off. Just a teeny tiny bit. I think I'll go to Old Navy and buy some inexpensive pants. I need some pants for work (I used to wear jeans and sneakers or flip flops, especially in LA, but I can only do that on Fridays now) but I really don't want to spend a ton of money on clothes while I'm at this size. I know that's lame but I don't care. I won't give in to this extra weight.

Practice was nice today even though I was a little tired. Anna was there and man does she get there early! She was already at eka pada sirsasana. FWIW, her LBH poses are AWESOME. Very flexy, that girl. I asked some newbie dude to scootch over so I could be next to Anna. He hadn't started yet so it wasn't too terribly rude, was it? I didn't want to be in front of all the bags or next to the wall either. I have to say, it's really nice that there's a friendly face in the shala other than the teacher. The newbie dude had the book with him and was using it but turned to the left for trikonasana instead of to the right so when he came up to stand I whispered to him to always turn right. He was too cute, I love the real baby newbies (as opposed to your average beginner like myself). I do love BW also, he's SUCH a good teacher. He's the only teacher who can get my head to my knee is marichy A, and it doesn't even feel that intense. Now I just have to figure out why I can't bind myself. It makes no sense to me. Whenever someone assists me, all they do is tuck my hands together so I know it's not that far. Ugh. We also had a giggle today about the EXTREMELY LOUD CHANTER. I know some people don't even want to hear a soft chant but that doesn't bother me; as a matter of fact, when I first moved back to NY and started practicing at the shala, I was a little embarassed that I was one of the only ones who didn't say it out loud. This person, though, is DISTURBING. I mean, it's LOUD; if you're all in your head at that moment, it will literally make you jump out of your skin. I shouldn't complain, though, because my top had a really weird icky smell to it even though it is clean. Not sure what that's about, I think it's time to ditch the Oxumwear. The shala has some nice looking Prana pants and they are all size large, yay! Also need a new mat, I'm thinking of getting the Manduka eco-mat instead of another Harmony. Any opinions from blogland?

I've lost my backbend completely. I can no longer come up. It's weird. For a while there I was making A LOT of progress. For a few weeks I was even able to come up three times! But now I'm stopping at Marichy C and I still can't come up. I get to the top of my head then can't get any farther. So I did some bridges, whatever. I'm not going to stress it. Still taking my knees to the floor 80% of the time too. Again, whatever. Hopefully it will all come back soon. For whatever reason, Ladies Holiday has dragged on forever this month. It's still here, barely, 6 days later. That's kind of a long time for me. Ever since I went off the damn Pill everything is much more unpredictable. Ugh. No inversions today, decided I might have made things worse by doing inversions on Sunday and Monday.

I need some core/abs/low back exercises that I can do on my living room floor in front of the tv with very little extraneous equipment. If you have anything good, I'm all ears. I've been doing a mini-yoga practice at night in front of the tv, just hip openers and virasana and stuff. I'd like to add some ab stuff to that, it's time to get off my ass and get my core in gear. So if you're reading this and you have suggestions, please help!!!!

Why do people talk at full volume on the LIRR at 5:30 in the morning? Why? Why why why?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the sweetest. Thank you! And I was happy you asked that guy to move! You have very nice energy and your practice is fluid and happy. We all get where we want to be eventually.

I had your mat before my Manduka. I had pranas, and two harmonys. Katie told me she had her Manduka for 7 years and it was still good as new - that was all I needed to hear! I love it. Took a little while to break in and not be slippery, but it was worth the wait.

Congrats on the lost pounds too. Dieting is such a pain in ass.

p.s., I need core strength too and I think good old fashioned sit ups might be the way to go!

alfia said...

boodiba recommened me to do push-ups for the upper body strength. 3 sets of each type (hands together, forming a heart, hands apart, elbows to the sides and the third - elbows close to the body "chaturanga style"). She suggested 10 reps (X3 times), but I can only do 5 at a time (X3 times). Twice a week. Let me tell you - it is a killer. Arms hurt, abs hurt, wonderful! :)

Yoga Chickie said...

Well...you asked...so I am going to say that there are people out there who would be bothered (anywhere from slightly to absolutely outraged) by being asked to move their mat so that someone can practice next to their friend.

At worst, it could make a person feel alienated. At its most minor, it could seem kind of grade-schoolish.

Personally, if there were that sort of thing going on at my shala, it would make me uncomfortable. It want my shala to be a quiet, un-giggly place. I realize that would make me a real scrooge at Yoga Sutra, which is one reason, among several, that I no longer practice there, despite a lifelong FREE membership!

I honestly hope you don't mind me saying this. You asked, and i just wanted to give an honest answer.

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Actually YC, it wasn't like that. The guy hadn't finished getting situated and he ended up moving maybe three inches. LI Ash is being overly sweet and conscientious about the situation. Everyone shifted, no one was upset, and there was no giggling involved.

When you don't practice there, it's unfair to make a judgment about what the room is like in the early morning hours. Our teacher creates a peaceful, devotional space, which we all respect tremendously.

LI Ashtangini said...

First and foremost, the question was somewhat rhetorical. I thought that was obvious, I guess I was wrong.

Second, even if I was completely and totally in the wrong, it's funny how you're the only person willing to be rude enough to point it out.

I'm amused by the fact that you profess to not understand why (supposedly) everyone at our shala doesn't like you, yet you post things like this. There is nothing 'going on' at our shala, we do not giggle like a gaggle of schoolgirls. As a matter of fact, Anna is the only one I have even met in person. Perhaps the real problem is that you're envious of those of us who have actually developed friendships at our shala (even if they are newfound ones). Given this comment plus your little zinger about the ambiguous sexual orientation of my teacher a couple of days ago (which I pursposefully ignored), I can see why you haven't developed such friendships.

Hasn't yoga taught you anything? The students who practice at my shala may not be perfect, we may complain about stupid stuff like people who chant too loud, but at least we don't post little nasties on the blogs of people we don't even know.

Unknown said...

I like when people giggle at the shala. Um, we're doing yoga, not brain surgery. Pratyahara and all that jazz. Giggling adds happy energy to the room.

LI Ashtangini said...

Thanks Cody. I, too, don't mind a little light-heartedness at the shala. Boodi is a great giggler during her practice, it's very refreshing.

And thanks for the pushup tip, Alfia. Perhaps I'll give that a try during my evening mini-practices.

Yoga Chickie said...

I wasn't saying anything about gregg's orientation. He has a wife and kids. i said calling him "bw" was a problem because he is NOT like the Boy Wonder, Robin, Batman's ambiguously gay pedophiliac interest.

Jeez.

I also never said everyone at YS hates me. Just a few of you. I hate no one. If you read my comment you will see I made no judgement. I just told you how it would make ME feel. A person has a right to her feelings.

You don't know me, LI Ashtangi, and neither does Anna. Nor does Ashtangi. You might not disike me if you knew me in person, rather than as this person who isn't a joiner and who disagrees without fear of retribution.

All of that said, I have heard about the schoolage stuff going on at YS, from other students there. It is not something i dreamed up. But if you guys enjoy the vibe that is there, whatever it is, schoolage, totally mature, totally Mysore, whatever, then enjoy it. I just a more comfortable at a more somber place. That is one thing I loved about Guy's. Yeah, there was the occasional giggle. But mostly, we practiced, we left. You had no idea who was friends with who. There was NO drama in that regard.

And it might feel flattering to think that i would want to be friends with you guys or have people move their mats to be near me. But it isn't true. And that's all that I am going to say about that.

If everyone has to agree with you on your blog, you should have comment moderation, btw. Or just hit delete. If there is an opening for discussion, then that makes it interesting.

Arturo said...

hi LIA
gosh, do you realize that blogger doesn't let us see your post when we're here answering, so we can answer your question? i have to open another window. oh, well, no problem.
nice post. i'm glad you're feeling lower on the blubber area.
i bought a manduka eko mat, with the towel on top. i would wash the towel carefully. i accidentally held it with hands that had held clorox and caused some discoloration. it does hold up for poses really well, after spraying it down with water. however, maybe it's because i'm older or thinner- i need a mat under the mat, so i used one of the studio mats under the eko mat. well, what i'm saying is that any manduka with a mysore rug is probably cushier than a manduka with the eco towel.

did david williams demonstrate for you his stomach exercise to warm up the bandas? he claims it's the best exercise, more important than curls.

cheers, arturo