Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I hate writing documentation

While I'm very glad to be working again, I really really really hate writing documentation. Really.

The weather here in the greater NYC area has turned quite frightful. Last night it snowed. There are only two ways out of the industrial park where I work and apparently whenever it snows, both roads get really backed up and it's impossible to leave. I attempted it once and ended up turning around and coming back to the office because I was afraid I didn't have enough gas to wait in that much traffic. It was looking like half an hour or more to get home (and I live about 3 miles away). Had a nasty tiff with BF about it, he was being less than helpful. Apparently the tiff is still going on as he's being a wanker again today. Whatev. Late last night the snow turned to rain and it has rained all day today non-stop. So no more snow, now it's just WaterWorld. I really miss Los Angeles.

I stumbled across an interesting blog, Melissa's. She chats about being a mom and other stuff. Her latest post was regarding teaching her young children to say please, thank you, yes ma'am, no ma'am. That got me to thinking about the future step-children. They are very sweet boys but their tendency to say 'yeah' when their name is called grates on my last nerve. I just think it's so disrespectful. And it also makes them sound kind of crass and uneducated. There's also a lot of 'I hate Z, he's stupid' or 'T is an idiot' stuff, which is normal for kids but I don't particularly think we should condone or even ignore it. So I've been mulling over launching a 'be respectful' campaign in our house. The problem is, they are only there every other weekend. Their mom doesn't really seem interested in any kind of team effort to get everyone on the same page in regards to how the children act or what kind of chores they are required to perform. Actually she seems quite the opposite (and that's all I'm going to say about that.....). So I was discussing this with the BF over the weekend. He agrees with me that they seem quite spoiled and disrespectful. I'm just not sure how it's supposed to work out. He and I have one idea of how things should be and their mother has a different idea. According to her, they aren't that way when they're with her. Well, is it that or is it that the same things don't bother her?

Home practice, was, er, interesting. I decided I didn't want to do my usual practice so I did something else. And now I'm going to make an admission that will brand me forever as a non-traditional, west-coast quasi-ashtangi......I like Steve Ross. It's true. I just do. And I like his style of vinyasa flow. I have taken many a flow class at Maha Yoga. There, I said it. So this morning, when I didn't feel like doing primary, I turned on the Oxygen channel and practiced along with Inhale. Now you can flame me or stop reading my blog or just think I'm an idiot. That's ok, I'll still be here tomorrow blogging, same as always.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can whip those kids into shape so that they behave for you; it's like dogs. They know what they can get away with with some people. Who knows, perhaps the campaign with seep into their larger life and stick. My kid is ten and he goes to a waldorf school, where the kids are in general a lot less smart ass because they are a bit sheltered from mainstream media and pop culture, which breeds that shit. But, my kid will still occasionally talk back and be a smart ass (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...) but we always hop on him for it. Usually, you get the bad behaviour at home because they're comfortable with their family. Isn't it true that we treat our family worse than we would treat strangers? I started a little campaign of my own a few months ago, which was 'pretend your spouse is a coworker'. It took away all my bitchiness towards him.

LI Ashtangini said...

Funny how when his kids come over they are mini-nightmares and when my dogs come over they are very well-behaved. I like to think that if we had them all the time it would be different but who knows. Unfortunately these two go to some snotty public elementary school way out on the eastern end of Long Island where all the kids are rich and get everything they want, so of course they expect the same treatment as their friends. Their dad feels the 'divorced parent guilt' which makes everything worse. Regular parental guilt is bad enough! And don't even get me started on the eight-year-old who walks around in only his underwear whenever he's in the house, and loves to pee with the bathroom door open. OK, rant over. And if I treated the BF like a co-worker, I'd just ignore him 80% of the time......hmmmmm, now there's a thought.....

Anonymous said...

Great work.