Sunday, February 17, 2008

Butterflied shrimp

Today's practice was the best I've had in quite a while. I won't go into the lame details but I definitely feel progress. And Teacher learned my name today. Oh dear.....Now I'll get my name yelled across the room like everyone else. I felt terribly bad for this one poor girl who was practicing today. She's actually one of the teaching assistants. Very sweet (and I say girl because I'm pretty sure she's much younger than I am) and a nice practice well into second series. She seems to have hurt her wrist or hand or something. I sympathized with her, as I battled tendonitis in my wrists for over eight months. Teacher had her pretty much doing her regular practice, except anything she would have balanced on her hands for, she was on her forearms instead. Bakasana on the forearms. Tittibhasana on the forearms. Then he told her to do Mayurasana on ONE HAND. I saw her lose it for just a couple of minutes. Girl's got some serious cojones, I'll give her that. I would have freaked out. Especially since teacher wasn't instructing her quietly, everyone in the room knew. I'm not really sure how I feel about his method sometimes.

In other news, my dear friend A in Los Angeles is having open heart surgery tomorrow. Actually, A is an ex-boyfriend. We've known each other for almost ten years. He's only 38 :( They are repairing an aneurism and possibly replacing an aortic valve with a mechanical valve. It's the same thing that his mother passed away from about a year and a half ago. He has no family near him so another ex (who I DESPISE) is taking care of him. Even though I can't stand her, I'm glad she's there to deal with him because our other mutual friends in LA are a bit flakey. He told me tonight that she's staying at the hospital all day until he's out, which is good because he won't be able to talk or anything for a few days. He'll be in surgery at least 5 hours, then in cardiac ICU for at least 3 or 4 days, then the regular hospital for another 7 days or so. A is actually the person who originally persuaded me to try yoga becasue according to him, I am 'too uptight'. He introduced me to vinyasa flow at Maha and took me to my first Jivamukti class. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to him. We were joking tonight on the phone about how they are going to butterfly him open like a shrimp. Yikes. I'll at least be able to find out how he is tomorrow afternoon from one of our friends but tonight is the last time I'll be able to talk to him for a while. So, if you're reading this and you feel so inclined, send some good practice vibes toward him tomorrow. I would very much appreciate it, and I know he would too. Namaste.

PS That reminds me, perhaps it's time to take a step back and document a brief history of LI Ashtangini's yoga adventures. Perhaps tomorrow's post.....it may turn into a two-parter!

PPS Blubber forecast - 40% - thinking about doing a detox/cleanse.....stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to be disrespectful, but has teacher lost his mind? There's modification and there's modification...

Everyone has their own approach but that one would not work for me.

Sending best wishes to A!

LI Ashtangini said...

Teacher is certainly a mystery to me. If he did to me some of the things I've seen him do to others we'd have a little chat.....this isn't the Marines!

Arturo said...

Hi LI Ashtangini
I hope your friend comes out OK out of his operation. If a teacher is kind, then being called out across the room would come out kind. Some teachers feel they need to exert authority and in so doing may come across as being aggressive, but they may have goodness in their heart. It's not easy to be a teacher.
I'd like to have a graphic blubber forecast widget on my blog. Maybe we can figure this out together and share the knowledge.
Cheers, Arturo

LI Ashtangini said...

I actually believe he really does have kindness in his heart. And for the most part he is a good teacher, I've made a lot of progress with him. I think he just sometimes goes a little overboard with pushing people. As far as I can tell, most people who practice Ashtanga don't need to be pushed very hard! I think a blubber widget is a GREAT idea. Definitely need to find one.