Sunday, January 27, 2008

Coffee before practice not good

I decided to try the 'bit o' coffee before practice' thing that I've heard so much about. Turns out, not that helpful to me. I was soooooo sluggish today. I sat on the couch this morning fighting with myself in my head: I'm going - I'm not going - I'm going - I'm not going. So I went. And it wasn't good. Is it better to go to class and have a crappy practice or to stay home and not practice at all? The crappy practices are a blow to my fragile self-esteem. Yes, I know it shouldn't matter, but it does, OK, it just does. I think it matters to lots of ashtangis, or why would so many people be frigging blogging about it????? Am I right???? Do Iyengar people blog about their practice? This is something I need to investigate.

So I get through the sun salutations ok and start the standing poses and it truly just goes straight to hell in my highly decorated handbasket. With each pose I'm thinking 'ok, just one more, you really really can do this'. Should I really have to coach myself through it in this manner? I finally (blessedly) got to the seated poses. My hips felt terribly tight, and even my hamstrings felt crappy. They are the only part of my body that's remotely flexible and today they rebelled. When I get to Janu Sirsasana A and it feels like a true hip opener, I know it's time to throw in the towel because my sacrum will be screaming later. Miraculously, Christopher managed to wrestle me into Marichasana C even though concrete had somehow mysteriously been poured into my joints. I even managed a nice hand bind on both sides. I'm going to take that as the positive part of today's practice, improvement on that pose is coming slowly but surely.

Enough of the yammering about my pitiful practice. I saw Juno yesterday and it is FANTASTIC. Everyone should see this movie. It's really really original and fun and funny and sweet and amazing. Today I saw 27 Dresses and it was a major bust. The BF hated it (or maybe he just hated that he was the only guy in the theater....). It was cute but a little insipid. Wait until you're bored one night and there's nothing on pay-per-view or on-demand or whatever else you use to watch movies at home.

Loving Laksmi's 'Lurker's Amnesty Week'. Great idea. Perhaps once I actually GET some lurkers I will set them free!

No comments: